First, we need to know the critical nutrient (NC) term. The NC are those whose deficit or excess in food constitutes a risk factor”. If we talk about supplementation, considering what we lack to cover our needs, these are the critical nutrients for each age group in the life cycle.
● Children under 1 year of age: vitamin d- iron (in babies exclusively breastfed)
● Pregnant women: folic acid, calcium, iron, and omega 3 (DHA), depending on the pre-pregnancy state, vitamin D, vitamin b12.
● Adults: it is recommended to prevent the lack of certain nutrients that could lead to disease.
● Older adults are generally used to correct a nutrient, vitamin, or mineral deficit.
In addition, the specialist points out that “except in some exceptions such as those with surgeries or basic pathologies, a healthy and balanced diet will correctly cover these nutritional needs.” And she stresses that supplementation should only be prescribed by a professional.
Is there any basic or essential food supplement?
“There is none that is particularly essential for a certain age, it will depend on each case since the supplement will be related to the quality of nutrition of each patient, their diagnosis, and other factors,” says the specialist. For older adults, for example, there may be a deficit of calcium, vitamin D, zinc, iron, and B12, among others.
Sports and food supplements
If I am not a high-performance athlete, are nutritional supplements necessary?
According to another of our experts on the subject, the nutritionist from Clínica INDISA, María Cecilia Benavides, supplements are only necessary depending on the particular situation of each person, which must be evaluated by a professional (doctor or sports nutritionist)”.
What nutritional supplements are recommended before doing sports?
The specialist points out that no supplement is needed. “The recommendation will always be to consult a professional to find out the state of health and if it really requires the use of any supplement.
After that, it is an excellent decision to see a nutritionist to be able to identify if the current diet covers her needs and only then see what supplement might eventually be necessary or useful in the particular case,” says Benavides.
For her part, nutritionist Stephanie Kremer provides food options before physical activity.
Pre-workout food options:
● A fruit
● A pita bread with a protein side
● Yogurt with cereal or fruit
● Or a food that meets the individual needs of the person.
What are the benefits of consuming food supplements?
“A correct supplementation will help prevent or correct nutritional deficiencies, and therefore will help prevent various conditions such as anemia, osteoporosis, etc., which can put people at risk or affect the quality of life,” highlights nutritionist Stephanie Kremer.
Risks of consuming dietary supplements
The indiscriminate use of nutritional olimp ashwagandha supplements can be detrimental to health since there are certain vitamins and minerals that, if consumed in excess, can cause toxicity. For example, vitamins A, D, E, and K and some minerals such as iron and zinc.
Both specialists agree on the importance of each supplement a health professional prescribes.
Here are some recommendations from our nutritionist, María Cecilia Benavides :
1. Consume supplements that are approved by the Institute of Public Health (ISP) to guarantee their quality
2. Avoid high or mega doses since your supplement should not provide more than 100% of the recommended daily dose unless the doctor/expert nutritionist recommends it.
3. Avoid mixtures, especially with herbs, enzymes, amino acids, or other unusual ingredients that often do not add benefit, only costs and risks.
4. Always check the expiration or expiration date and keep them in a suitable place according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Ask the expert about supplements you might require and for how long, but avoid self-medication.
If you want to learn more about this topic, remember that our professionals and medical team are available to answer your questions and help you improve your health and achieve your goals.